Saturday, June 16, 2007

Opening Day


Ok, well it's not opening day. It's actually early June and the Buccos are 67 games into their schedule. But it's blog opening day, ok, so release the doves.

As a Pirate fan, one must understand frustration, like 15 losing seasons of frustration. Frustration of that magnitude can be handled in many ways, but since I am not prone to hostility and my insurance won't cover therapy, I decided that writing was the best way to find release. Hence the blog. Guess I could have drank more, also.

Since I didn't start this in April, I'm going to need to catch us all up. The Bucs are now 29 and 38, languishing somewhere around 4th place in the NL "Sinful" division (NL Central). The season started out with lots of hopes and promises, like a 3-0 start. It was like, wow, when were we last 3-0...were we ever 3-0??? But, then, BANG! Our good friend, Mr. Reality came home from a long day, slammed the front door, kicked the dog, and started backhanding every living thing in his path. The height of our misery, thus far (the season is still young) was last weekend when the Yanks kicked the living crap out of us over three hard days. I swear, the Yanks had a few innings that took us at least an hour to get 3 outs.

So hope sprang eternal, but the Bucs shot it the middle finger, and decided that fourth place is more of their "safe zone". Is that surprising???

It's glorious interleague time now, and that usually means bad news for us, but we got the ChiSox this weekend, and we are actually doing pretty good. For the record, we also took 2 outa 3 from the Rangers this week, but they really suck, so it's not really worth reporting. The one actual noteworthy factoid was the third game, in which we got stymied by this bush leaguer named Loe. This guy's era was as bloated as a Jenny Craig candidate after a night at Old Country Buffet. Somewhere around 7.60, I believe. Of course, the Buccos, the good ole' frigging Lumber Company, can make anyone look like Koufax, and we did. I think he gave us like 3 hits thru 8 innings. I think at one point he even threw that pitch that only worked in whiffle ball...and we swung and missed.

And that's kinda the story of this season. Bad delivery, failed expectations, tons of untimely hitting, fielding gaffs, bullpen letdowns, etc., etc., typical Pirate crap. It's a lengthy list of screw ups this year. No one guy gets the credit for our lofty .433 win percentage, this is a true team effort.

So write and tell me what you think about our boys. It's a long season, and I want to read your thoughts and ideas. Hell, maybe even the Bucco top brass will pay some attention (doubtful). My buddy, Tony, will probably chime in from time to time, and share his miserable views without my sugar coat. (hint: he ain't gonna be too kind on guys like A Laroche.)

Until I write again...right now, there is probably some Pirate striking out, somewhere.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how cute that dog is! Her owner must be so proud.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! That's the cutest dog I've ever seen!

Anonymous said...

that pint sized pooch looks like a real mutt.

looeyvilleslugger said...

As some lifelong friendships are forged in battle, so are some friendships steeled (no pun intended) by misery. Jesus, the Bucs suck.

I am sending some pics of hot Kentucky girls to brighten the dreary feel of this blog. How many more days before the third coach of my entire life begins his tenure?

Anonymous said...

What ever happened to the hot kentucky chicks???