Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It Wasn't Always This Bad.

Since the interest with the Bucs fleets with every loss, every pierogi race, and every two-a-day, I decided to launch the last ditch effort to rekindle the fire...drumming up the past. Each and every Pittsburgh sports blog has covered, with EXCRUCIATING detail, the 14 (almost 15) year drought that followed the Sid Bream's slide across the plate in the NLCS. I thought we should focus on a 15 year period where things were not so bad. After reviewing some stats on Baseball-Reference.com, I realized that we could actually focus in on a 20 year period of Bucco greatness.
So, for those of us stuck in the Pirate doldrums, here is a snapshot of...

Pirate Baseball 1960-1979

  • 14 seasons with 88 or more victories
  • 3 World Series titles
  • 6 post season appearances
  • 4 MVPs (well, 3 and a half)
  • 8 batting titles
  • 35 20+ home run guys (no small feat considering the years in Forbes Field and that this was not considered a lively ball era)
  • 1 no-hitter. Even the pitchers got involved.

Take the time to let that sink in. The Bucs have legitimate claim to being the dominant team of the NL, if not the majors for that 20 year period. One can also make a serious argument that the Buccos were the class of Pittsburgh sports over that 20 year period. (I hear groans, but the stats are there)

there once was a time when we had heroes

Doing some further research, it appears that those teams were quite successful at two things that their current brethren continually fail at: 1) maintaining a central core of developed talent: Parker, Stargell, Clemente, Moreno, Oliver, Zisk, Candelaria, Tekulve, Kison 2) exercising quality, meaningful trades for veteran support players: Lacy, Easler, Robinson, Garner, Madlock, Reuss, Milner, Bibby, Foli.

did Kevin Young ever grace the SI cover?


I am fully aware that the baseball economics in 2007 are drastically different than those of 1977. I am also aware that there are numerous teams with similar budgets that make meaningful trades geared towards improving their roster and not their profit/loss statement.

where have all The Hammers gone?

To end on a high note, we'd like to send a quick congratulatory shout to all our friends over at http://www.doubledumbassonyou.com/ for their 200th career post. These guys are truly Eastern PA's finest provider of uselessness. Good job, guys, just think of all the diseases that could have been cured with the amount of research that goes into that blog.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at the rosters from the mid 70's. The Pirates had to have the best minor league program in baseball. In addition to the players you mentioned there was Rennie Stennet, Ed Ott, Don Robinson, Bob Robertson, Manny Sanguillen. The list can keep going. How many of the current bums were born and raised as a Bucco???

Anonymous said...

The Hammer was my favorite player. I still got his wrist band and a "34" on my glove.

Anonymous said...

can we get some more saftey tips? what happens if that girl drinks 128 oz. of water a day?


(is that burgh chick? I thought she was the foster girl...)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out Briwatt. Being that I was born at the beginning of the 1980s my reference to that era comes from the stories of my father, ESPN Classic, various blogs (such as this rather esteemed one), and DVDs. I lack the first hand experience that many of you old times have, but when looking at the numbers you can't deny that era of Bucco baseball.

I wonder if any of my Jay Bell or Orlando Merced rookie cards are worth anything now?

Anonymous said...

I guess class of the town is a pretty subject thing. Even though the Steelers really were not good in the sixties, they still had more playoff appearances and more championships over that time frame. Even in the sixties they had hall of famers like Bobby Lane and Ernie Stautner (yes #70, the only Steeler to ever have his number retired…does not seem like such a great decision now does it?).

When I was looking into the Steeler stats to compare I noticed the Steeler website credits them with a playoff appearance against Detroit in 1962. I didn’t rememeber anything about so I tried to track it down somewhere else and could not find anything. If you want to see it on their website, click here.

If you know what really happened in 62, or why the Steelers are saying that, please let me know.

Either way, I think team stats should be the judge of who was the class during that period, and I am thinking playoffs and titles give that edge to the Steelers.

PLease dont get me wrong, I would love to see the good ole days come back for the Bucs...)

Anonymous said...

I think both of you are partially right. The Steelers from 1972 to 1979 had a run that few teams of any sport or any country can claim. However, there really was no football program in town prior to the arrival of one, Chaz Noll. (hence my pen name)

The Bucs will never again be able to make the trades they made in the mid-70's. The economy is so different. It is disturbing how they fail to develop talent.

Anonymous said...

Agree on the talent comment. The amount of high round draft choices and nothing to show for it is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tony...for your 1962 Steeler question...
They were in the old NFL Playoff Bowl, or Runnerup Bowl. It involved the team from each conference that finished second. Back in those days, the champ from each conference met for the NFL title -- there were no playoffs. So the Steelers back then would have been in the Final Four.
ed