Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What Would You Do?

Congrats to you, puckheads, hockey is back!  I know you're expecting that long awaited hockey post...well, it ain't happening here today.  Considering that the players and owners made us wait for three months while they debated over how unprofitable NHL hockey truly is, you all can wait for another week for me to drop puck on a center ice posting.

I'm thinking NFL mock draft today.  It's my normal custom to google up mock drafts the day following the Steelers' final game (beginning somewhat and disturbingly early this year), and I found some interesting and confusing predictions.  Five mock drafts visited, five different predictions for the Steelers in 2013.  I've seen ILB, OLB, DE, NT, and T.  Five drafts, five guys, so no clear direction here.  After more research, I've noticed a big name guy who seems to be lurking as available when the Steelers select with the #17 pick.

So, repeating the title of this post: what would you do?  Let's role play a bit.  Consider yourself Mike Tomlin, or even better, Kevin Colbert, and it's your turn to draft at #17.  You look up on the big board, and you see the slightly downgraded USC phenom quarterback Matt Barkley still undrafted.  You began noticing Barkley, the once projected top three pick, still hanging around at 15, and now he's there, yours for the taking.  Ok, I know you all must be thinking that I've gone down to the basement and broke into the wedding booze a bit early, right? I know, I know, the Steelers have an abundance of needs, and QB isn't one of them.  I know, I know, Big Ben Roethlisberger is still in his prime at 31 years old, and should be the Steelers' starting signal caller for four to six more seasons.  Yeah, I get all that.  Now think about the question some more.  Would it be wasteful or visionary to drop a first round pick on a guy like Barkley?  Is it too early to be grooming Ben's heir apparent?

Let's look at some other models.  The Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005 knowing that Brett Favre wasn't going anywhere for a least a few more seasons.  Some cheddar heads actually prophesized that Rodgers would never start as a Packer. The Colts parted ways with Peyton Manning in favor of rookie Andrew Luck.  I believe that the Canton, Ohio sculptors have already molded the Manning and Favre busts years ago.  Both Indy and Green Bay knew it was smart money to work on the succession plans early. 

The Steelers of long ago made one feeble attempt to draft a Bradshaw replacement in the person of the much maligned Mark Malone, whose forgettable career was probably more notable as a wideout than as a franchise quarterback. The Dolphins are still hunting for the next Dan Marino.  Is it coincidence that both Pittsburgh and Miami endured decade long droughts of late January football while they auditioned endless marginal QBs?  Is it coincidence that the Packers and Colts have quickly rebuilt their programs under their new guns?  Would it be coincidence if Manning becomes the first Bronco QB to sniff a Superbowl since John Elway?

Big Ben is now 31, and sure, some great QBs have maintained championship caliber play into their mid 30's, but that list is much smaller than you might think it is. The reality is that Ben may have just a few strong seasons left in the tank before age and injuries start to run their course. With his style of play, coupled with the fact that he has started since his rookie year, it's not a stretch to consider Ben a high mileage vehicle these days. The Steelers waited until too late into Bradshaw's career to make a serious investment into finding his successor. I'd hate to see that happen again.

I'm sure a few of you have already concluded that today's post was a waste of our time, and that considering the next Ben is not on the things to do list for this offseason.  Me, I'm still intrigued.  I have said for years that Ben is the greatest Steeler since the Chuck Noll crafted dynasty teams of the 1970's.  I also think that a guy like Barkley doesn't fall into too many #17 carts that often.  I would consider it quite the luxury to have Barkley in the stable for three seasons, ready to take the reigns in 2016.  If the last two decades of football has shown me anything, it's that a lot of teams can be good with a strong defense and a solid quarterback.  To be great, you must have a great quarterback.  We often ask ourselves just how many more Lombardis would be on display in the Great Hall if the Steelers hadn't passed up on a young, skilled quarterback who slid almost to the bottom of the first round in the 1983 draft.  You know, that Marino guy.

I'll answer my own question with a yes, I'm drafting Barkley at #17 knowing that I now have one great QB and one potentially great QB.  Perhaps I work a trade in a few years, possibly bringing in some much needed replacement parts.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.  And no, I didn't break into the wedding hooch...yet.

5 comments:

a-dawg said...

I like the kid from Louisville - Teddy Bridgewater. He had a heck of a game vs FLA in the Sugar Bowl. He isn't coming out this year...so you can look at other things. Additionally, I don't think he will be a "lottery" pick - so you don't have to completely suck to get him.

Briwatt said...

Bridgewater is probably more realistic than Barkley. The idea here is more about Ben than Barkley. I know I'm banging on a drum at this point, but the Steelers need to be postured to have a new starting QB ready by 2016 or 2017. I guess the 2014 or 2015 drafts make more sense, but they should stay open minded to any undervalued guy who slides to their selection area. I'm not sold on how Ben's game will project once arm strength and mobility are diminished and he has to rely on savvy to close out games. The Cowboys and the Bengals games told me that at least for now, Ben isn't in the class of a Manning, Brady, or Brees. The Cincy game stunk of a late 30's Brett Favre boner. If Ben hasn't learned to throw that ball away during a game of that magnitude by now, I'm not certain of when he will.

a-dawg said...

Agree 110%

Bridgewater - from what I saw and heard from the announcers has excellent poise in the pocket and can move through his reads seemlessly. Not really a runner - but can get you a 1st down with his feet.

Not sure if I like Barkley as his team slid pretty far this year. I know you can't blame 1 guy....but the QB is the designated leader + they were the pre-season #1.

Briwatt said...

I think the drawback on Barkley is that USC quarterbacks are now the PSU running backs of the 90's.

Bridgewater looks like he could be a better version of a McNabb or Culpepper.

mp said...

another article saying similar


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127620/article/pittsburgh-steelers-wont-rule-out-drafting-a-qb-early