Wednesday, February 13, 2008

So the Penguins are Really like Talladega Nights

Ever notice the bevvy of meat head comments that spring up when a sports superstar goes down with injury, claiming how the team is actually better without the star? Well, since I live in the Land of Sports Meat Heads (aka Philadelphia), I hear these comments constantly. When Iverson would go down, and the team would reel off a few wins, I would hear it. Whenever Donovan goes down (on a somewhat regular basis anymore - but that's a whole different article), I would hear it. When Chase Utley broke his hand and then the Phils continued to win, I heard it. The meat headery would even spill over to the western half of the state. My Philly pals claimed (with certain truth) that Steel Town was better without Ben last year. Hell, I was even compelled to state that the Steelers were better on defense without Polamalu last year. (My chronic love/hate relationship with #43 is also an article for another day).

Last weekend I was out with some friends at Maggianos, and I heard the comment that tops all meat head comments. "The Penguins are better without Sid Crosby". Since I was overly distracted by the platter of cholesteral parmigano in front of me, I couldn't go table by table until I found the moron that made the blasphemous remark and stab him in his ear with that oversized fork that fancy Italian restaraunts use, you know, the one that slightly resembles a small pitch fork.

Last night, however, I did some internet perusing on my own and I did find some interesting nuggets.

PENGUIN PERFORMANCE WITH CROSBY (46 games)
55 Points - 1.195 points per game, prorated to 98 points over 82 games.
2.59 goals per game.

PENGUIN PERFORMANCE WITHOUT CROSBY
(10 games)
14 points - 1.400 points per game, prorated to 115 points over 82 games.
3.30 goals per game.

So, by applying some rationale to this hard data, we must conclude that Meat Headimus Maximus from the restaraunt was, in fact, correct. The Pens are actually a better team without The Kid. I'll stop now before you Igloo Nazis show up at my door.

Although the logic is faulty, and really ridiculous, the power surge that has occurred during the last four weeks is remarkable. Frankly, it speaks volumes of the progression of Evgeni Malkin since his spring disappearance during the playoff ousting by Ottowa. Not only has #71 filled up the scorer's sheet, but his agressive style has really supercharged this team with confidence. The fact that a team could go 6-2-2 without it's star scorer and franchise goalie sends a very loud message. This morning the PG ran an article about Malkin's potential to take home some trophies at the end of the year. I'm not sure if a Hart or Ross is in his near future, but I would recommend Malkin for the Cal Naughton, Jr. Award for best performance while stepping up for a fallen comrade superstar. NOTE: if you never saw Talladega Nights, then disregard the previous reference.

Shake and Bake




please meet
Magic Man and El Diablo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jinx!

Anonymous said...

They came out a little flat in the first period. After that, they played a pretty good game. The penalty on Malone at the end was BS.

Malkin still rocks.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ricky Bobby, if you aint first, you're last.