Monday, February 4, 2013

Ye of Little Faith

Go find that Chicken Little for me and tell him to stick it in his beak.  After a three game, six point swing in four days, Dan Bylsma and his 2013 Pittsburgh Penguins have assured us that the white fluffy stuff falling on our heads is, in fact, not the sky after all.  Sure, I was amongst the numerous writers that forecasted potential doom for the flightless birds and their soft spoken skipper, but hey, that was four days ago, and seemingly another lifetime in the fickle world of professional sports.

The Pens have been simply dominant this week, outscoring three conference nuisances by a collective 14-4.  Along the way, the Pens finally put the energy back into Consol Energy with a resounding February 2 whooping of the Jersey Devils.  Perhaps the shadow that old Punxsy Phil saw was that of Marty Brodeur's backside as he flopped and flailed futilely as five Penguin pucks skimmed past him.  The Pens feasted again 24 hours later, cranking it up to the tune of six goals this afternoon.  Unsung gritter Chris Kunitz notched his first hatter since, well, maybe ever, to cap a six point weekend.  That point tally is nearly a month's worth of production by career numbers for Kunitz, who also managed a #2 star and a #1 star for the weekend games.

With twelve points and a 6-3 record our Pens now find themselves atop the Atlantic Division as the grind of the compressed season is kicking in.  What was once a slumping bunch has now become a focused and dangerous hockey team, playing strong in all areas of their game.  An attribute of a great sports team is the ability to recognize adversity and step up to answer the challenge.  Here's to hoping that the Penguins of the last four days are the great team that we hoped we'd see.

8 comments:

a-dawg said...

I'll eat a little crow here - but I still feel they need a little size up front and 1 more stay at home defensman type.

I like what I saw so far from Boychuk - although he has yet to tally a point in Black-n-Gold.

They have a busy week - NYI on Tuesday...Craps on Thur....and back-to-backs vs Devils on Sat and Sun.

I'll be interested to see where they sit this time next week.

Briwatt said...

So is it just an anomoly that Chris K is netting points like Gretzky circa 1987?

a-dawg said...

Kuny's goal on Saturday was the direct result of one of the worst turnovers I ever saw...but there is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time...and taking advantage of it. The hat trick was impressive yesterday. 3rd goal was on a 5-on-3 PP with like 4 seconds left. Another thing I like about hockey - they don't let up at the end....even with big leads.

It helps that Kuny plays with Sid too.

a-dawg said...

I'm a Geno fan....but there is no doubt who is #1. Sid is getting ready to go off. I think the rest of this season is going to be fun.

mp said...

I wasnt to upset at 3-3 and im not too fired up at 6-3. They have talent. This year more than ever it will be about playing well when it counts. They should get into the playoffs, thats when they need to heat up.

They came unglued last year and forget defense. when they won the cup last time, they were defense first, and the big chances came off of that. That is what this team should try to be.

a-dawg said...

MP - you are correct.

I feel they were still playing off of Michel Therrian's defensive strategy when they won their last Cup...as he was still their coach as late as Feb 15th that year.

To me, the further they get away from Therrian's tenure...the more lax the D has become.

There is too much talent on this team to get bounced early again. If that happens...I think some heads may roll this time.

Anonymous said...

Generally I do not read post on blogs, however I would
like to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do it!
Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very great article.


My web blog pizza games

Anonymous said...

It's really very complicated in this busy life to listen news on TV, thus I just use the web for that purpose, and take the hottest news.

my weblog: twitter retweets free way to get more instagram followers